December 24, 2009

Chenille Blanket

While Amanda has been working on a few projects, I have been working on one of my own. We have been seeing more and more people making quilts using their Big Shot. You use the dies to cut your fabric shapes. I love quilting but I also like making Chenille blankets and scarfs. It's such an easy technique and the finished project is beautiful. I love giving them as gifts.

You will cut 5 layers of fabric in the measurement you choose for your project. This is a lap blanket measuring 46" x 48". Pin all 5 layers together using curved safety pins. These are great for basting and holding your project together.

To make a pattern in the chenille I cut coordinating fabric and layered them, using the Scallop Circle and Scallop Circle # 2 dies using the Big Shot.





Once you have all of your layers together, you sew on the diagonal of your fabric. You need to sew on the diagonal in order for your fabric to fray. I sewed every half inch starting in the center of the project. This is time consuming but well worth the wait. Once you are all done sewing your project you cut two of the layers of your fabric between each sew line. Now turn your project over and cut two layers of fabric between the sew lines on this side. Be very careful you do not want to cut that center layer. This is what holds the whole thing together. There are tools available to cut your layers, but I have found a good sharp sewing scissors works just a well.





Now throw your project into the wash machine with a towel. Then throw it all into the dryer. The towel helps rub against the fabric to help fray the edges. The more you wash it the better it looks. Now I had no idea when I started what this was going to look like when it was done, but I am pleased with it. I hope you like it too! Just another great use for our Big Shots!



No comments: