July 1, 2009

Scrapbooking and Stamping Worlds Collide

This topic is near and dear to my heart because I was first and foremost a scrapbooker. I think people who scrapbook sometimes don't think they should get involved in stamping because they don't see the connection between scrapbooking and stamping. I just wanted to share some past scrapbook pages I have done to give you scrapbookers out there some fresh ideas and the courage to try stamping...to make cards or to incorporate into your scrapbooks.

Some background on me as a scrapbooker...Let me start by saying that I teach in elementary school. I was an ELL teacher for 4 years which means seeing lots of kids all day long and being involved in lots of activities. I was kind of a paparazzi with them because I took pictures all the time. At first they complained but eventually they asked to have their pictures taken. Needless to say this left me with lots of pictures at the end of the year. I didn't want to retire 30 some years from now and find stack of pictures in shoe boxes and have no idea what they were for or from or who was in them. I took my love of scrapbooking and started creating a book for each year I taught. They ended up being a big hit with the kids and they would look at them all the time during spare moments of class. Anyway... I digress! Moving on to scrapbooking tips...

The first way you can incorporate stamping into your scrapbooks is to actually stamp on the pages. I have used background stamps, alphabet sets, Stampin' Around wheels, and other stamp sets that may go with the theme of the page. I may use stamps to take the place of a sticker or other embellishment.

In this first example I used an alphabet stamp set to write the word pizza. This makes it easy to personalize. I also used some Stampin' Up cardstock to border my pictures (Dusty Durango and Soft Suede.) The large P is chipboard that I sponged ink on to be the color I wanted and I punched out circles with the 1 3/8" circle punch! Sorry it's missing the journaling. Not quite finished.

This example shows the use of a specific Stampin' Up stamp set...From the Kitchen of. I love this stamp set, but constantly wonder what I can use it for besides recipes.

I thought about writing the Johnny Cake recipe here, but then decided to use the space to do some journaling instead.

On this page I used another stamp set (All About U- retired from Stampin' Up) and another alphabet stamp set.

The second things you can do is use some of the fabulous punches that Stampin' Up has to offer. Punching out different shapes can help add a pop to the background or a special little detail to your pages.

Here I used the Spiral punch along the edge of each picture. It gives it the appearance that it has been taken from a notebook.

On this page I used the Circle Scissors Plus to cut the pictures into circles and to make a slightly larger circle border. This along with the ribbon gives them the appearance of ornaments.
A couple other items you could include are the use of chipboard letters or designs, designer paper, scrapping kits, or rub-ons to give your pages some added dimension.


This title happened completely by accident. I was sponging a chipboard letter for a card and I noticed my scrap paper on the bottom once I finished. It left the original shape of the letter, but showed where I had applied ink on the outside. I loved this mistake and used it on this title.
My last piece of advice is to use layouts from cards, designs from magazines, and color combinations you see around you to inspire your creativity... in any kind of crafting.
This was a card that I made in a monthly card club. It inspired the layout for the page below. It was a single page so it worked well, but I could have modified it to fit a two page layout. I love how the scrapbook page turned out.

So I hope this helps you scrapbookers feel that the stamping and scrapbooking worlds aren't so far apart. Give some of these options a try the next time you scrap! Card makers/stampers can use these tips also to give scrapbooking a try! Enjoy and happy scrapping!

No comments: